Friday, November 30, 2012

HOW TO: Clean your coffee grinder


Nothing is better than the aroma of freshly ground coffee- it really has that zing that smacks you in the face, especially in the morning. A neat trick to clean your coffee grinder to use for spices like cumin seeds, cardamon, or dried lavender blossoms is to grind up dry rice. Any rice will do- it picks up all the coffee et voila- you have a clean grinder for herbs and spices! This is great for making lavender shortbread, which I will be posting about soon!

Directions

Take coffee grinder- wipe with a paper or cloth. Add rice halfway, and grind it up into a fine consistency. Pour out, wipe one last time, and you're good to go! No need to buy more gadgets than necessary.

If you don't have a coffee grinder you can use a blender, or a mortar and pestle, or even dice it up on a cutting board. I have used my blender in the past, but it is much harder to clean than the spice grinder!



Photo credit: ATiwolf / Foter.com / CC BY-NC-SA
Photo credit: datenhamster.org / Foter.com / CC BY-NC-ND

3 comments:

  1. If you don't have a coffee grinder best espresso makers you can use a blender, or a mortar and pestle, or even dice it up on a cutting board.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your input, Muhammad! You're totally right, a I've definitely used all three options you mentioned myself before I learned how to clean my grinder. The blender works well, but it's such a pain to clean! That's why I like the ease of the spice/coffee grinder. What do you like to use best?

      Delete